Quick, easy and foolproof; you can now enjoy your favourite meal anywhere, anytime!
Settling for fast food, paying for a bowl of overpriced salad, or worse, skipping meals is pretty much a norm for us urbanites. Our on-the-go lifestyle and busy schedule barely give us enough time for beauty sleep, let alone to prepare a decent meal. Well, guess what? We might have just found the perfect solution to this problem!
Mason jar meals are great for portion-controlling so you don’t overeat and this new food trend is so versatile that most of these recipes can easily be made within 10 minutes – even if you’re not a kitchen goddess.
Breakfast: Bacon & Egg
Salt and pepper
1. Mix eggs, spinach, cheese, salt and pepper in a bowl.
2. Pour mixture into Mason jar.
3. Cook in microwave for 1.5 to 2 minutes while checking constantly.
4. Top with additional cheese and bacon crumbles as preferred.
*Note: It’s completely normal for the egg mixture to puff up while cooking and deflate when removed from the microwave.
Lunch: Lazy Lasagna
12 ounce wide egg noodles
1 pound ricotta
1 hand full Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 cups Mozzarella cheese
3 cups Marinara sauce
1. Boil noodles according to package directions. Drain and put back to pot then mix in 2 cups of Marinara sauce.
2. In a bowl, mix ricotta, egg, Parmesan cheese, salt and Mozzarella together.
3. Gently fold cheese mixture into noodles, do not over-stir.
4. Place in greased jar and top with the remaining Marinara sauce and sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake in 177°C for 35 minutes.
Dinner: Asian Noodle Salad
For the salad:
4 ounces soba noodles
1 red bellpepper, thinly sliced
1 cup shelled edamame, cooked
2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup crunchy rice noodles
For the spicy peanut dressing:
2 tbs peanut butter
4 tsp sambal oelek
4 tsp rice vinegar
4 tsp soy sauce
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs black sesame seeds
1. Cook soba noodles according to package instructions and rinse with cold water.
2. Whisk peanut butter, sambal oelek, rice vinegar and soy sauce in a small bowl while slowly adding olive oil until incorporated. Stir in sesame seeds.
3. Divide dressing into four mason jars, following with the soba noodles, and layer on remaining ingredients, ending with crispy rice noodles.
Dessert: Nutella Peanut Butter Cup Mousse
1/2 cup Nutella
1 1/4 cup of fat-free or 1% milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 packet instant chocolate pudding (1.34 oz.)
2 cups chocolate wafers, crushed
3 tbs peanut butter
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup whipped cream
Reese’s peanut butter chips
1. Mix 2 cups of crushed chocolate wafers with melted butter, sugar and 2 tbs of peanut butter.
2. Layer the mixture into bottom of 8 half pint-sized Mason jars and baked in 191°C for 10 minutes.
3. Whisk dry instant chocolate pudding mix with 1 1/4 cup of fat-free or 1% milk vigorously for 2 minutes. Add in 1/4 cup Nutella and whisk for another 1 to 2 minutes. Add in 1/2 cup whipped cream and whisk for another 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Gently fold in remaining whipped cream with a spatula.
5. Top with a dollop of whipped cream, crushed chocolate wafer crumbs and Reese’s peanut butter chips.
Supper: Maggi Kari in a Jar
1 packet Maggi 2-Minute Noodles Kari Flavour
1/4 tsp powdered creamer
2 tbs cooked chicken meat, shredded
Baby Bok Choy leaves, roots trimmed
Straw mushrooms, halved
Crispy fried tofu, cut into chunks
Red chilli, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp chicken stock or powder
1. Boil noodles for 2 minutes and drain.
2. Shake in Maggi Kari seasoning powder into Mason jar, then add the creamer. Mix well.
3. Layer in mushrooms (cooked), cooled noodles and baby Bok Choy.
4. Add shredded, cooked chicken and crispy tofu.
5. Top with sliced chilli and chicken stock for extra flavour.
6. Add hot water to serve when desired.