It doesn’t matter how many times you’ve gone through it; going all bare down there is going to sting, especially that first rip. Here’s how you can lessen the pain factor.
1. Keep skin in tip-top condition for waxing by scrubbing to remove dead skin and keeping it well-moisturised. Having dry skin will cause more discomfort.
2. While having a couple of glasses of wine before getting waxed sounds like a great idea, stimulants in the system can cause skin to be extra sensitive to waxing, so minimise your alcohol or caffeine intake.
3. Don’t shave or pluck the hairs prior to a wax appointment. Hair strands that are too short may not be removed efficiently and the experience can be uncomfortable. The optimum hair length for waxing is 6mm.
4. Avoid wearing tight clothes that can cause friction to the skin after a wax session, thus resulting in discomfort to the area.
5. Relax and breathe! Being tense tightens the muscles and reduces skin elasticity, making hair removal from the pores more difficult. Tensing up also amplifies the sensation of pain and discomfort.
Waxing, especially a Brazilian treatment, should be done at a professional waxing salon that focuses on hygiene and training. We like the new location of STRIP: Ministry of Waxing in Bangsar Village II. With more space in a stylish and comfy ambience, and the same level of stringent practice, you’re all set for a great waxing experience, every time.
From the print edition.