Did you know that foundation has been around since Ancient Egyptian times? It’s kind of comforting to think that despite the years that separate us, both our ancient ancestors and ourselves desired a smooth, glowing complexion.
Foundations are designed to smooth skin texture, even out skin tone, brighten dullness, and conceal any blemishes. Basically, foundations make skin look like a better version of itself. But for certain skin types, it can feel like they have the complete opposite effect.
On dry skin, the wrong foundation can cake and put an unflattering spotlight on any dry flaky areas. Wear the wrong foundation on oily skin, and what’s supposed to be a dewy glow turns into a veritable oil slick.
So how do you get it right? Here are some quick tips.
For dry skin:
- Always gently exfoliate and moisturise skin before application.
- Pick a water-based foundation over powder or cream types.
- Add a drop of facial oil into your foundation. Pump both onto the back of your hand, mix, and apply with fingers or a brush.
For oily skin:
- Always apply foundation on thoroughly clean skin.
- Celebrity makeup artist Wayne Goss swears by powdering your face with loose powder before applying foundation to really keep oil at bay and extend the wear-time of your foundation.
- Try patting a little bit of oil-control primer on extra oily spots over your foundation to absorb oil and set your foundation.
Check out more foundation tips for oily skin: Transform Your Oily Skin Into A Gorgeous Dewy Glow
For combination skin:
Combination skin is where it gets tough. You can use a mix of the tips above, but multiple products and techniques for a single face can take time and money.
Even normal skin types may struggle with the same combination of problems through the day, as air-conditioning dries out skin and the Malaysian humidity outdoors causes sweat and oil to melt off foundation.
If that sounds like you, then you have to meet one of the smartest foundations on the market, Shiseido’s new Synchro Skin Glow Luminizing Fluid Foundation.
This intelligent foundation will adapt to any skin tone and type, delivering the perfect amount of hydration for healthy brilliant glow. The foundation promises to turn skin oil into the perfect light diffuser, while dryness is transformed into a glow. How? Responsive Sensory Technology combines a synchronised balance of water, oils, and light-reflecting pigments to optimise light as skin conditions change throughout the day.
With comfortably hydrated skin, your foundation will never look cakey or flakey. At the same time, refined powders keep skin smooth and oil-free.
The foundation is available in 13 diverse shades to cater to every skin tone, and can be layered for additional coverage if required.
Shiseido Synchro Skin Luminizing Fluid Foundation retails for RM170 at all Shiseido counters.